In 1,000 words or less, tell us what you hate about the world – what bothers you or ticks you off, and how you’d fix it if you were running things. Open to anybody who
enjoys writing. Essays should be persuasive – they should develop an idea, topic or argument and try to convince readers to accept an idea. Essays should be well-organized, and if necessary, give evidence, examples, and logical arguments; but they should not be boring! Great writing will be rewarded.
Essays should be no more than 1,000 words. The top essays will be featured on this site, and receive a free critical review.
Deadline is February 1, 2010. Winner receives $100 via PayPal.
If I ruled the world…
- I’d make honking a criminal offense in India.
- I’d ban ‘loud’ music at all times.
- I’d fine politicians for every poster or banner featuring their name that was left on public property.
- I’d ensure that we had the right to cast a negative vote.
- I’d have a retirement age for politicians.
- Heck, I’d get rid of all politicians, pronto. Would save us a lot of bother. Might actually do some good.
- I’d ban mining in Goa.
- I’d ensure that every child got an education, never went to bed hungry and didn’t need to work to stay alive.
- I’d throw those involved with spurious mid-day school meals into prison for life . People who benefit by hurting children in any way don’t deserve to be a part of civilised society anyway.
- I’d make having a garden compulsory for every residence – it doesn’t have to be like the Blenheim Palace gardens, just window boxes with pretty flowers will do.
- I’d limit the number of hours a human being spends on the Internet. Some ‘real’ interaction will be mandatory.
Yup. I’d do all this. Vote for me.
(This is not my entry for the contest, obviously. I want to win – I’ll be writing something more…eloquent. 🙂