Thanks to those who replied to my earlier post on public libraries in India. Additional comments are still welcome.
Having access to books is a subject close to my heart; hence this quest to find what’s really going on with public libraries in India.
A preliminary search has led to some interesting discoveries, none of which I, as aam junta, was aware of before.
1. Most Indian states have adopted the Public Libraries Act which makes it the state’s responsibility to run libraries in every district. Maharashtra adopted it in 1967.
2. Several organisations that work solely to promote libraries and information transfer flourish in India. They seem to hold lots of seminars, conferences and publish papers; perhaps some of that work is trickling down to the grassroots, but I cannot be sure of that.
4. The Education Dept of Mumbai’s Municipality says they have 6 libraries providing the teachers with valuable education material. (What happens to the students?!)
5. The Dept. of Culture provides financial assistance to libraries incase someone’s interested in applying.
From my fellow bloggers (and elsewhere), here are details of public libraries :
– Links to a listing of libraries
– 11 British Council Libraries in Ahmedabad, Bangalore , Bhopal, Chandigarh, Chennai, Hyderabad , Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi , Pune, Thiruvananthapuram
– 4 American Information Centres in Kolkata, Chennai, Mumbai, and New Delhi (USIS).
Thanks to Shoefiend and Chandrachoodan for the info.
1. Connemera Public Library (or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connemara_Public_Library)
2. Theosophical Society Library, Chennai
3. UV Swaminatha Ayyar library of Tamil literature
1. State Central Library
1. Karnataka Public Libraries (official website)
Other links to the (somewhat dismal) state of public libraries in India
1. Libraries and librarians in India on the threshold of the 3rd millennium: challenges and risks (paper)
2. Public Library Systems in India (book)
3. User expectations in Private-Public libraries in India (pdf article)
4. Reading Rooms (newspaper article / The Hindu / 2004)
5. National Policy on Public libraries in India (paper)
6. Library development in India (newspaper article / The Hindu / 2001)
7. Information literacy and public libraries in India (pdf)
8. The story of libraries in India (web article)
9. Public Library Services in India: Systems and Deficiencies (web)
1. aam junta – common man